Saturday, June 27, 2009

Concert impression: Smile Empty Soul at the Knitting Factory in Boise Idaho

   So here is my first concert review, i just got back from a free concert featuring Sindicate, Malakai, Abrubt Edge, and Smile Empty Soul at the Knitting Factory in Boise, Idaho.  And for a free concert the latter half was pretty damn awesome, enough to wear I wouldn't have felt bad paying money for it.  It definitely has been the highlight of the week and a turned out to be a better experience then I had initially thought.
   Sindicate and Malakai opened the night and both were not really something I was into.  Sindicate sounded a lot like White Zombie, but definitely not the same caliber.  Their songs were very repetitive and the lead singer left a lot to be desired.  Also their lyrics were very high school and i could not relate to them at all.  Malakai was just as dismal, again a band that is less then their influences and just make you want to listen to the original bands instead.  I have a feeling they will be the new Trashing Andy where I see them open for every concert at the Knitting Factory and they play the exact same set every time.  They definitely did not fit with the rest of bands with their very indie/coldplay feel.
     The band that surprised me (and i feel may have had the best set) was Abrubt Edge.  They came out practically swinging and i found myself headbanging as early as the first song.  Their lyrics are not the greatest but their Pierce the Veil like singer was pretty amazing and their guitar riffs had that 90's rock feel that seemed head and shoulders above the other openers.  I immediatly grabbed their EP "Born" straight afterward and will attend their CD release party on July 10th.  They had a very strong showing and have some real talent for a local band, hopefully a label picks them up.
    The headliner was also a surprise for me.  Smile Empty Soul has gotten a lot better since I last listened to them, which was like 6 years ago in high school.  They play a lot like Puddle of Mudd but with a softer edge, though it was still sharp enough to get me dancing.  With very personal lyrics and some pretty hot licks on the guitar they have definitely come a long way.  I was disappointed that I could not purchase their albums at the show but I definitely will pick up their new album up in August.  They definitely had a great stage presence and were very energetic on stage.  They also didn't waste a lot of time talking but got straight to the songs, which I like in a band since that is what I came to see.  
   All in all the latter half of the show blew me away.  Not only did I discover some great local talent with Abrubt Edge, but also found that Smile Empty Soul (while not terribly original) is still a great band that I want to add to my music collection.   Definitely had a blast...

No comments:

Post a Comment